- Prepare the Roast:
- Pat the beef chuck roast dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and dried oregano.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the roast, ensuring it’s evenly coated.
- Sear the Roast:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the seasoned roast and sear it on all sides until it develops a golden-brown crust, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the seared roast to your slow cooker.
- Add Vegetables and Liquid:
- Scatter the sliced onion, minced garlic, chopped carrots, and chopped celery over the roast.
- Pour in the beef broth and red wine (if using) to provide moisture and flavor to the roast.
- Cook in the Slow Cooker:
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours. This low and slow cooking will make the roast incredibly tender.
- Make the Gravy (Optional):
- About 30 minutes before serving, you can prepare a delicious gravy to drizzle over the roast.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water until smooth.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the cooking liquid in the slow cooker.
- Continue cooking on the low setting for an additional 30 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- Once the roast beef is tender and cooked to your liking, carefully remove it from the slow cooker.
- Slice the roast against the grain into thick slices.
- Serve the roast beef with the vegetables and gravy, and enjoy this comforting and flavorful meal.
Slow Cooker Roast Beef is a classic dish that’s not only delicious but also incredibly easy to prepare. The slow-cooking process allows the meat to become tender and infuses it with the flavors of aromatic herbs and vegetables. Whether you’re serving it for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner, this dish is sure to be a hit with your family and guests. With minimal effort, you can enjoy a hearty and satisfying meal that will warm your heart and soul.